Central and Eastern European Bankwatch Network is seeking for a part-time
Assistant helping the Polish climate and energy campaigner (half-time position 50%)
Assistant of the Polish climate and energy campaigner
CEE Bankwatch Network is an international non-governmental organisation (NGO) with member organisations currently from 12 countries across the central and eastern European region. The aim of the network is to monitor the activities of the international financial institutions which operate in the region, and to propose constructive alternatives to their policies and projects in the region.
The individual carrying out this role will be responsible for assisting the network in developing its capacity and ability to work on climate and energy related issues in Poland with additional help to climate and energy campaigners in the 12 countries in the central and eastern European region in which Bankwatch operates. We are looking for someone to take on that responsibility for 10 months working 20 hours per week – to assist in projects currently undertaken by Bankwatch in Poland and assist staff in its work on energy issues.
We provide a challenging opportunity to work in a multi-cultural and multi-country NGO environment and use your abilities to help save the planet while testing your skills on the national level, as well as, upon successful execution of your work, a written reference for any future employment. The working language is Polish and English and the position is paid.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Updating the information on the current state administrative and environmental procedures (EIA, IPPC, building permits, meetings as part of the EIA consultation and changes to the spatial development plans in the administrative districts (gminas)) monitored by the Polish climate and energy campaigner for existing and planned large infrastructure projects in Poland
- Monitoring the media for new information on the projects monitored by the Polish climate and energy campaigner
- Writing letter to public authorities on the local, voivodship and national level requesting environmental and public information on the energy projects of interest to the Polish climate and energy campaigner
- Monitoring the upcoming events in Poland on the regional and national level that are of relevance for the task performed by the Polish climate and energy campaigner
- Providing quarterly reports on the task performed by the assistant to CEE Bankwatch Network
- Gathering intelligence on the activities of the local communities on the local and subnational level opposing lignite or hard-coal mining and new big energy projects and providing updated information on any new local communities opposing coal/lignite mining in Poland to the Polish energy and climate campaigner
- Assisting the Polish energy and climate campaigner in arranging meetings with health, patient or doctors organisations
- Identifying active health, patient and doctors organisations on the local and regional level in Poland and identifying the contact person
- Assisting the Polish climate and energy campaigner in preparations for the AGMs of ENEA S.A., Tauron S.A. and PGE S.A. – basic and specific information research
- Updating contacts to representatives of organisations that could potentially support the anti-lignite campaign activities
- Assisting the Polish climate and energy campaigner in preparations for important meetings with national and international stakeholders
- Ensuring that the elements of the job description are carried out in a professional and thorough way.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills both in English and Polish
- A meticulous person with great care for detail and very well organized
- Strong computer skills
- Knowledge of and/or interest in EU environmental politics
- Interest towards the objectives of Bankwatch
- Independent, flexible with good organizational skills
- Open, energetic and proactive
The ideal candidate should be able to work for 20 hours per week for a minimum of 10 months period (possible for extension). The position is open from the 1st February 2013. Flexibility in working hours is an asset.
- A half-time position
- Work on a diverse and dynamic range of activities
- Work in a multicultural environment
- A salary that is competitive for the non-profit or public sector in the region
- Life-work balance and staff benefits
- Work location in Warsaw, Polish Green Network office (optionally working from home)
How to apply
To apply, please send a letter of motivation and CV in English to: [email protected] with ”Assistant of the Polish climate and energy campaigner” in the subject line.
The letter of motivation should clearly describe why you want the job and demonstrate how your skills and experience are relevant to the job requirements detailed above.
Closing date for applications: January 16th, 2013
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with disabilities and/or from racial minorities.
Further details about CEE Bankwatch Network’s campaigns and activities are available at: http://bankwatch.org